3.01.2010

The woodpecker is back!

We have an old family friend that visits us every year,  Mr. Woodpecker.  He first visited us while Christopher was on an orchestra trip in High School.  It was the funniest thing.  I heard this rattling through the house.  I had only heard this type of ratcheting machine gun type sound when water would back up in the pipes in our old house.  When I heard the sound again, I first thought, "Oh no, trouble with the pipes."  But I realized that it was a woodpecker on top of our chimney, trying to peck into the metal exhaust pipe on the top.  I joked how you'd be able to identify our weekpecker by his bent beak.  I would even walk around with my finger pointing away from my nose at an angle to identify him.  Well, he's back.  This morning, I heard the rivoting on the roof.  I woke up Kristina and told her the woodpecker was back.  You should have heard the excitement in her voice  "Woodpecky is back!"  She jumped out of her bed, ran to the closet to get her jacket, put on her boots, dragged me barefoot out in the snow to look up on the roof.  Sure enough, on the very top was our beloved friend.  The woodpecker with the bent beak and aching headache.  Our dear friend.  It brought a smile to my face.  Even now, as I type this, the occasional rivoting machine gone on the metal pipe echos through the house.  What a delight.  

1 comment:

Roxy said...

HA HA HA HA.... WOODPECKY!!!!!!!