12.20.2012

To Daniel Dec 16th 2012


Elder Carter!!!! Guess what?!?! Nine days untill we get to talk to you! Yahoo! I had a rather fantastic week... I think... here's how it went. Monday- I did home work and had basketball Tuesday- I did home work. Wednesday- I had a choir concert! It went great! The band, orchestra, and choir got a standing novation! I was running back and forth between the orchestra and the choir! Thursday- It was the science honors trip. We went to the planatarium. Afterwards we went to Olive Garden! It was absolutely delicious! After that we were able to go to the Hill Air Force Base museum! It was so much fun! Especially the bus. Friday- I was given the opportunity to play my Violin at a baptism! It was such a neat experience! Saturday- I got all of my christmas shopping done! Every single thing! My friend Avery came with me and we walked ALOT! It was super fun though! Sunday/Today- I went to Kristy's fair well! She is going to be a great missionary! After church and the fair well I wrapped all of my friend's Christmas Presents! My spiritual thought of the day. Remember what you have! Not what you don't! Count your blessings and don't take them for Granted! I love you so much! Have a fantastic week! 
I love you!
Love, 
NIna 


December 16, 2012

Dear Daniel,

How are you?  How was your week?  How is Kira doing?  I was so touched by the words you shared with us, of knowing that she should not be dropped. Heavenly Father really blessed you to see her the way he does. Did she come to the investigator fireside?  We will keep her in our prayers for you.  Maybe she just needs a little more time.  

So you got a new companion!  How exciting!!  Tell us all about him.  Where is he from?  What is his family like?  How long has he been on his mission?  etc. etc. etc.  Oh, how tall is he?

Did you get a Christmas tree?  We have a "pre-Christmas" package on the way.  It should be at your apartment sometime early this week.  It has treats and edible decorations" (if you know what I mean).  What are your Christmas plans???????  We know a little.  All of your Christmas packages were sent to the mission office and you will receive them on Christmas Eve.  Are you spending Christmas in your apartment or with investigators?  Members?  We are looking forward so, so much to talking to you.  Do you know where you will be and when you might be able to call???  

This has been one of the saddest weeks in our country with the mass shooting at the elementary school in Connecticut.  I have cried for these children, their families and everyone affected by the tragedy.  I received the most amount of comfort today from our Relief Society lesson - George Albert Smith's words.  This was the last lesson of the year.  I share these words with you because they helped me so much, and they may be of worth to you, or help someone you may talk to in the next couple of weeks, when grief is so fresh and forefront in people's hearts and minds. 

" . . . There is only one remedy for the universal distress- a panacea for the sickness of the world.  It is the gospel of Jesus Christ; the perfect law of life and liberty, which has been restored again in fulfillment of the Scriptures. 'Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you:  not as the world giveth, give I unto you.  Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.' (John 14:27).  

These are reassuring words from the Prince of Peace to his faithful followers.  Surely there is nothing men need more than the blessing of peace and happiness and hearts free from fear.  And these are offered (to) all of us if we will but be partakers of them.   . . .   

Though the world may be filled with distress, and the heavens gather blackness, and the vivid lightnings flash, and the earth quake from center to circumference, if we know that God lives, and our lives are righteous, we will be happy, there will be peace unspeakable because we know our Father approves of our lives. 

We need have no fear if we do what the Lord has asked us to do.  This is His world.  All men and women are subject to Him.  All the powers of evil will be controlled for the sake of His people, if they will honor Him and keep His commandments.

If we have the confidence of our Heavenly Father, if we have His love, if we are worthy of His blessings, all the armies of the world cannot destroy us, cannot break down our faith, and cannot overcome the Church that is named for the Son of God. . . 

No matter whether the clouds may gather, no matter how the war drums may beat, no matter what conditions may arise in the world, here in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, wherever we are honoring and keeping the commandments of God, there will be protection from the powers of evil, and men and women will be permitted to live upon the earth until their lives are finished in honor and glory if they will keep the commandments of our Heavenly Father. . . 

Conform your lives to the teachings of the gospel of Jesus Christ and when calamities threaten you will feel the support of his all powerful arm.  Make your homes the abiding place of the spirit of the Lord; let them be holy places, where the adversary cannot come; listen to the still small voice prompting you to works of righteousness.  It is my prayer for one and all that you will be nor swerved from the path that leads to the knowledge and power of God, the heritage of the faithful, even life everlasting."

I love you Daniel.  May we all celebrate Christmas this week.  May we celebrate the birth of a tiny baby born in Bethlehem, our Savior, The Lord Jesus Christ, King of Kings, Our Father's Beloved Son.  May you find and share JOY this week as you serve and spread the true gospel of Jesus Christ in words and in action.  Merry Christmas a week early!

I love you!
Love,
Your Mama




Hola Mijito! 

I hope you are having a great time in Texas!  We hear you have a new companion.  How exciting!  I hope that this change will bring a revitalizing of the missionary work.  Changes were always exciting for me in Ecuador.  You never knew who you were going to end up working with, but each experience always turned out to be very unique.  It is the common bond of doing the Lord's work that will unify all that you do.  You are one big family in the THSM.  You have all been called on a grand scale to do a great service and work.  Onward and upward.  (Well, not too upward, you are already pretty high in the sky as it is...)
We've had some interesting missionary experiences here with our sister missionaries.  One had extreme tonsillitis, then thought to have mono, so she was sent home.  Found out the mono was an inactive strain, so she'll probably come back after having her tonsils out!  Her companion had permission to make her Christmas call early because her brother is going into the mtc, so she skyped from our house.  It was interesting over hearing her view of Utah mormons.  It wasn't very kind.  You would think she would have realized all the derogatory comments were falling on the ears of a house full of utah mormons.  Well, according to her, we have a lot to learn about compassion, blending in, and reaching out.  Something that those outside of Utah seem to have mastered.  It ruffled my feathers a bit.  I thought, how shallow to lump all of us into a category becuase of some limited interactions she has had during her time here.  It was funny that she said that if by chance she were to end up here after her mission, it would be to show us all how to "be".  hmmmmm...
Don't ever judge the entire community by a few. 
I also listend as the sister that was sent home lamented the fact that finally her mission was evolving into what she had hoped.  She spoke of apostate zones, and missionaries.  The very people called to be preaching the gospel being labeled as apostate.  It brought me back to my mission when the same thing occured.  A few assistants made a "black list" of missionaries that needed extra interviews and guidance to conform.  I think I was blessed at that time to be friends with all of the missionaries in my mission.  I knew the "outstanding" bunch and I knew the "apostate" or "blacklisted" bunch.  I saw their hearts, and I saw a unique group of individuals with unique talents, characteristics, and abilities to reach out in their own special way and change hearts and be the Savior's hands to a people that no one else could reach.  People want a sense of humanity.  People want to see the gospel through individual eyes.  I'm not saying be rebelious, but I am saying to be true to who you are.  Recognize your gifts and talents.  Be vocal and you will touch the hearts of many.  
Dean Bennion and I were polar opposites on our misisons, but we are examples of how the Lord needs us "in our best selfs" to uniquely testify of his greatness, glory, and mercy.  If you see missionaries struggling, don't write them off.  Talk to them, listen to them, strengthen them.  We are building a righteous army of saints.  No one is to be cast out.  Listen to the spirit and give embodiment to the spiritual giant within you.  

We sent you a pre christmas package to your apartment address.  We hope you get it.  Open it when you do.  We wish we had sent it weeks ago, but know it is from our hearts to yours.  

Our stake had a stake musical fireside tonight.  I was able to sing in the ward and stake choir.  We say Callie.  She goes into the mtc mid march.  

I am busy wrapping up grades for my classes, and studio work for my clients.  There are always a few that straggle to the bitter end.  

Know that we love you.  We are so proud of the work you are doing.  Find many ways to celebrate the season.  Then, find ways to carry it through the new year.  

I'd tell you more, but there is no more... Anything else, I'd have to make up....

Maybe I'll add a picture or two....

Oh yeah, Utah State won!!! their bowl game in Boise!   They played Toledo.  It was close until the last half of the last quarter when we ran away with it...

You'd be so proud!

Love you.

Pa!

No comments: