2.05.2009

And we're back...

Welcome back to our show, "Living With Wildlife!"

Our show today features what appears to be a baked potato...
Open it up with the provided gloves and "teaser," however,
and you will discover not a potato, but... drumroll please...
an OWL PELLET!!!!

Ok, stepping away from the announcer platform, let me tell you about my class today.
For blog-frequenters, this is the same class in which we discussed Sea Turtles.
Today, after our quiz on Sea Turtle anatomy, we were informed 
that we would be digging for bones in owl pellets.
Our professor told us he purchased them so he could ensure they had been heat sterilized.
(Translation: instead of a baked potato, it was a baked poop.)

Owls don't really chew. They swallow. This being the case, they poop out whole bones.
Perfect opportunity for a science project!

We were equipped with a piece of paper to determine
what kind of animal bones we were looking through.
Halfway through breaking apart my piece of poop,
the kid next to me leaned over and said,
"So, what are we supposed to do... just... play?"
Classic.

Here's my paper plate before I started...
(No, I wasn't shooting heroin. ;) Its not a needle, its a "teaser," whatever that means.)


My prize after 75 minutes of CSI:
3 skulls, several dozen little leg bones, a mandible, a clavicle, and a rib cage!


Stay tuned for more of the documentary... :D

1 comment:

Brianne said...

That's awesome! Haha, I had to disect owl poop in fourth grade! I guess your teacher wouldn't let you miss out on that important life experience! I like the updates! Funny!