11.19.2009

"UPDATED!!!! Remembering a funny story…

UPDATE! Roxanne found a picture of the Real star of this story, so I've included it. Ah, the memories....

Okay, the story surfaced again for some strange reason, so I thought I'd blog it for all to share in our anticipation 26 years ago...

Karen and I were newly married and living in Aggie Village.  It was cold that winter.  I just threw that in to  set the scene.  We had our little opel that was wired with speaker wire.  It got us around.  We frequented Smith's for food.  Anytime there was a drawing, we would enter with the hopes of winning.  One day we received a call saying we had won a bowl. We wondered at what type of bowl we had won.


Was it Metal, or perhaps even better crystal.  The man on the phone said something about a buddig bowl.  Was buddig a type of cyrstal?  Ah, the days before the internet, when you actually had to wonder what something was instead of googling it....
Well, I decided I had better drive down and collect our prize.  Wow, a bowl.  A bowl special enough to be a prize in a drawing.  The anticipation was driving us crazy.  Well I arrived at the store, asked for the man who had called me so that I could collect our treasure.  The man handed me a bag.  Inside was an inflatable bull.



Not a bowl, but a bull. We had won an inflatable Buddig Bull.  (Buddig being the brand of lunch meat.)  I laughed and laughed.  Then, when I arrived at home to deliver our treasure to Karen, I laughed again.  She kept asking, where's the bowl?  I said, It's a bull, not a bowl.  We still laugh to this day....

(This is the bull.  Roxanne googled and found it in a gallery of collectable inflatablesl!)

2 comments:

Roxy said...

HA HA HA HA... I'm so glad you blogged this story! Nice pictures, too! LOVE THEM! Oh wow... still laughing...

Debbie said...

Hilarious! I read it aloud to Neal, and had to pantomime the "bowl" vs. "bull" so he would understand.