2.22.2008

A few thoughts on Brussels...

This week I've been thinking about Brussels. A few random thoughts have lingered, and I thought I would share them...

Thought #1: Belgians are smart.
Belgium is an old country. Hence, lots of buildings built up because there is no room to build out. If you remember the picture of my stairs, you can imagine trying to move, say, a couch up the stairs. Really, moving anything bigger than a bag of groceries up the stairs... Anyway, in Belgium, they have special machines built that move stuff in from the outside. It's brilliant, really. Why not shove a couch through a window instead of a door. It beats hauling it up by yourself. Anyway, that's thought number 1.

Thought #2: Belgians need a little more Chevy in their lives.
Since I've been here, I've found it very entertaining to count trucks. Since you can't go a half a block in Logan without finding one, I've found it rather fascinating to see the difference. I've been here for 45 days. In that time (excluding Germany) I have seen, drumroll please, 5 trucks. Yes, five.  2 Dodge, 3 Chevy. One of these Chevrolets I see on a daily basis, right out my window at work. It has inspired a short poem, entitled "Ode to Chevrolet"

I do not live a single day
Without looking for a Chevrolet.
The body styles and curves, so fine, 
I can't wait until I call one mine!
It's so much more than just a car.
In all my dreams, I travel far
Behind the wheel. With more than luck,
I'd cruise inside a Chevy truck.
Machine and man become as one.
Destination: beyond the sun.
I know I'll live my dream someday,
Cruising in my Chevrolet.

So, that being said, I will continue my truck count, and enjoy the fact that Chevy is winning Dodge. There have been a few other Chevy cars, but my heart lies in the trucks. That's the country girl in me, what can I say?

Thought #3: Belgian waffles.
I had yet another waffle today, pure and holy. I still love them. I would refer you to 2 previous posts entitled Jour des Gaufres and Waffles! respectively. 

Those are my thoughts for the day. Thank you for reading!

No comments: