1.26.2008

Bruises and Bruges

Saturday has been quite the day! I don't think I've been this exhausted since the day I arrived! First of all, a quick update on the DVT: I go see the doctor and get the results from the blood tests on Monday. My bruise has become quite the display, though. Here's a picture! :) Pretty, huh?
Today, Jordan, Rachel, and I headed up via train to the coast of Northern Belgium. After arriving in Oostende, we took a tram to 3 different cities: Knokke, Blankenberge, and De Hann. This picture is in Blankenberge, my favorite of them all! This is on our walk to the North Sea!

Me, at the North Sea!
It was pretty windy while we were there. It is January and all... The water was cold, but I touched it anyway! If you look closely in this picture, you will notice the sand blowing across the ground. It was beautiful! Like clouds on the coast!
Shells on the beach of the North Sea.
After we had taken in the beauty of the sea, we headed back into Blankenberge. 
The cobblestone streets are only big enough for one car at a time. Very picturesque! 
We turned down one street in Blankenberge and this was our view. 
The cathedral was beautiful!
On our way in, we passed a little tea shop. I insisted we find it again, just so I could get a picture by it! Check out the name...
After our adventures up north, we headed to Bruges. Every single person I talked to that had been to Belgium before told me to go to this city before I went home! We met up with Mindaugas and James (both from church) in Bruges and walked around the city. This canal is walking from the train station to the city center.
This is a street in Bruges. It was like walking through a fairy tale, it was so beautiful!
Once we had arrived in the center of Bruges, we found a boat tour we could take for cheap! It was a fun little tour around the canal in Bruges. I love learning all the interesting facts. The tour guide said everything in Flemish (Dutch), French, and then English. I was very impressed. Bruges is one of the best preserved cities from medieval times. Many of the buildings were built in the 16-1700s! We passed the oldest bridge in Bruges built in the 14th century. Below is a building built in the 15th century. It was a place where the lords of the area would gather for market, or so the tour guide said... :)
City Hall in Bruges.
This is me with James (L) and Mindaugas (R)

No comments: