1.12.2008

Waffles!


It is extremely important to note that I had my first real Belgian waffle today. This is a defining point in my life, I think. Trust me, if you have had one you will agree with me without even thinking! They are to die for. At first glance, they appear nothing special. Once you sink your teeth into them, though, you are a changed person! It's like they make the batter with a sweet honey, but there is also a sugar-ey texture to them that dissolves in your mouth. Heaven, I'm telling you. It's absolutely delightful. Belgians eat waffles like Americans eat pretzels at a football game.  They just grab one and hold it with a napkin as they're shopping or walking or driving. It's awesome! 




This is a waffle bus. The writing on the side (gaufres chaudes) means Hot Waffles. I didn't get mine here, but I thought it was absolutely awesome that there was a bus, parked on the sidewalk, selling waffles. Incredible, I tell ya!





The other pictures are walking to City2, the big shopping center, 
to buy my waffles. 
The street is called Koningstraat. It is really busy all the time. Cars are crazy! They drive so fast. It amazes me that there are not more accidents all the time. I guess it works, though. It must be the way to drive here! I find it really entertaining. 
If someone has stopped in the street, you just drive around them. If there is a sidewalk in the way, you just drive onto it. I love it! It took me a day or two to get used to it, but now its just normal. Pretty view though, isn't it?

No comments: