1.21.2008

A new kind of adventure...

As some of you are already aware, I've had a small bit of unexpected excitement, if you will... last Tuesday I started to have a very intense pain in my right calf. It was very consistent and hurt to the point of immobility at points. Friday night I noticed my ankle was swollen. This seemed a bit strange, as there was nothing that had happened to make it swell. to make a long story short, after a little bit of internet research, a blessing from the bishop, and a conversation with my parents Sunday night, I decided to go to a doctor. After many miracles, I was able to get into the doctor Monday night. The long and short of it is that I have a few small blood clots in my leg, most likely from the flight here. The risk is very minimal, as the clots have probably been there about 11 days. I was able to actually see the blood clots on the ultrasound machine used to diagnose the condition. It was pretty neat! Treatment will be as follows: I have to inject an anticoagulant under my skin, most likely into my stomach, twice a day for 1-2 weeks. After that, they will put me on an oral anticoagulant for about 3 months. The clots are not in the main artery in my leg, but a smaller one on the side. This will make it so I can go about my regular activities. I only have to wear a compression sock as I am moving around. I can take it off while I am sleeping. I go in to do some blood tests hopefully tomorrow so they can prescribe the correct amount of medication. Thanks to all who have been praying! I can't even begin to describe how much I have felt it. I'll keep you posted with any updates! Until then... au revoir! Look forward to more pictures from both sides of the world!!!

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Wow! I'm glad you figured out what it was, and that you can get the right treatments. Good luck with everything; we'll be thinking of you!